Wednesday, July 20, 2011

2 great paintings

I believe that every artists experiences  what I call Gods gift. Once is a while I paint a painting and say to myself, "How did I make such a great painting. Some thing guided my hand. It is a miracle. "  Some times I have a spell when I am painting poorly  and then I paint a  great painting and it breaks the cycle. I can't predict when it will happen. I certainly am grateful. Some times I get into a cycle when most of the paintings are good. Those are joyful creative times. It seem like those paintings come without a struggle, I am in tune, harmony or whatever you want to call it. If anyone reading this  has these experiences tell me your story.

Our studios, Charlie's and mine, were in the barn. When it became difficult to heat  those areas  in the winter we moved into the house.  Charlie always had his hat on. I think it became a habit from the time we lived in Newburyport  when the house was always cold. I can't remember what compelled me to make such a large painting. I was inspired and confident.

Charlie_in_the_studo

Charlie in the Studio acrylic 36x48

I like "Listening" because I captured the concentration in  the face. This person was at the jazz jam in Waldoboro. The owner of the house bought many paintings and they are on the walls. Looking at the cat I thought of the expression, "The  cat jumped over the moon."   I put the Marc Chagall painting which is a little like a fairy tale next to the bar code painting, a little fun with the serious listening.

Listening_1

Listening 

No comments: