Sunday, August 14, 2016

famous artists that painted on Monhegan and Isle of Shoals




Many famous painters have painted on the ME islands. Unfortunately Monhegan is now like grand central station. Summertime the island is crowded with artists and tourist. It is dramatic and quaint.

 The painting above by Jamie Wyeth, I saw at the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland a couple years ago. It absolutely blew me away. I actually felt energy in my body. The water is charged with energy, It is moving, spontanous, free. The paint technique is so lose and yet real and alive. The mood just penetrated me. It is one of my favorite paintings.  I believe one has to see the real painting to feel the connection of the artist.

Below are someof my favorite painters that painted on Monhegan.

Jamie Wyeth

Rockwell Kent

Rockwell Kent  I saw a show of his paintings at the Portland Museum

George Bellows

Edward Hopper

Paul Strisik is a painter from Rockport when I lived there years ago

George Bellows

Don Stone is an artist that also lived in Rockport when I lived there. He painted in watercolor in the early years

Don Stone
Don Stone   He died 2015 at 85 years old
Friderick Waugh painted on Monhegan

Frederick Waugh  one of the great surf painters
painting surf in one of the most differcult subjects to paint.

Celia Tharter staeted an artist colony on the Isle of Shoals back in the 1880ies. Many artists, musicians went there. She had beautiful flower gardens and planted many poppies. I wish I could see the island  as it was then. There are many small islands but now tourists go to Star Island where the big hotel is.
Sam Sargent

Childe Hassam born in Dorchester MA

Childe Hassam

Childe Hassam

1 comment:

nickmiddleton010 said...

We organize the creation of beautiful artworks for home owners and businesses. Famous artists