Sunday, April 16, 2017

Easter




Easter Sunday. I don’t celebrate Easter any more. When I was a child my mother made or bought new cloths for me and that was special. We went to church and I liked the ceremony and seeing everyone dressed up. In those days ladies wore hats and gloves and I loved to see them decked out in their finery. We had Greek friends and on their Easter they roasted a lamb and cooked wonderful food.They gave us red eggs and sweets to take home. These are my memories and I love that I can recall those times. I never thought about the meaning of Easter back then.
 All churches have sculptures of Christ on the cross as part of their interior design. The birth of Christ nativity is only on display  at Christmas but his death is always on display. I never believed man was born sinful or that Christ died to forgive our sins. What are sins, a word I do not like. Humans learn through experience and being mortal beings mankind has made many mistakes. To correct those mistakes we change and learn by trying different methods of looking for better results. It is an on going process, challenging, frustrating and rewarding. It is the way of life. As Leonard Cohen wrote,the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering-there is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in
The resurrection also means rebirth and this is evident in spring when plants and trees come back to life after a winter of rest. The cycles move in a circle never ending. Spring is a time we all look forward to, more light, warmth, color, flowers, being outside in nature. Lets yell Hallelujah for spring


I have painted the lily a few times and as an Easter symbol I have included some images of my paintings
I traded a painting for this bunny years ago. It is here with me in Eugene









This is what it looks like here now

I was looking at Edouard Vuillard paintings images and these colors are spring.  For me yellow is a differcult color to work with

Vuillard   I love these soft colors


No comments: