Tuesday, May 3, 2016

My move into Ya Po Ah


on the property at Ya Po Ah


I have not had a way of communicating until now. The computer was connected yesterday so I can send emails but the phone is not working yet.
I moved into my apartment on the 14th floor at Ya Po Ah  the tallest building in Eugene.on the 19th of April. I get the greatest views. It is fantastic being up so high. I have been walking around getting to know the neighborhood. I am finding many things to paint, new to me so different from the subjects of Maine. I see hawks, vultures, and an eagle fly by my window view. The eagle is nesting on the top of Skinners Butte which is the park I face, as my apartment is on the north side. There are some interesting houses near by, interesting colors very few white houses. The landscaping is formal, so many interesting plants. I look at everything. Right now the Azaleas, rhododendrons and roses and other plants I don't know are blooming. It is a riot of colors. I haven't painted here yet. I am soaking it in. The bank, post office and farmers outside market are within walking distance. There is a movie theater around the corner, 2 dollars on Tuesdays. I have walked to the river.
I bought a 3 wheel bicycle from a person here that can't ride anymore. I thought it would be easy but it is not so I am practicing in the parking lots. When I get better at it I plan to put my paints in the basket and go out and paint. The bike paths are everywhere and go along the river for miles. I don't plan to go on the roads where the traffic is.
Doug left on the 26th of April and is back in Amesbury, MA.  Chris is working everyday at the farm. Sunday I took the bus to Chris't house, Diane was home and I worked in the garden. It was a warm day, in the eighties. The buses are free for ceniors. I have a card with my picture on it and it looks like a drivers license. I show the card when I get on the bus. Everyone is very helpful here.
Ya Po Ah has a bus that goes to the super market once a week. There are some activities, a dining room,  laundry room, computer and tv room. Saturday night is movie night and I have been to two, West Side Story and the latest Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens. The philosophy group meets on Tuesdays and I plan to go to those meetings. There are exercise classes and I plan to join one. I have met some of the other residents all very interesring people. So I am settling in and enjoying my new home and surroundings.
I think about every one and miss  Back Cove.  The peepers must be in full voice, singing everynight. Do keep in touch.


from the 14th floor looking south toward city

looking toward the collage stadium 

the river

looking south down town

looking north east 14th floor

house near by

victorian museum next door


Ya Po Ah

downtown sidewalk plants

hedge same street that Ya Po Ah is on

many places to eat outside

farmers market

farmers market


down the street from Ya Po Ah

Ya Po Ah in background

Ya Po Ah in background

many flowering plants

flowering tree

1 comment:

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

Your attitude keeps you young! I know when I moved to Portland from Minnesota, in the spring, I was in awe of the flowering everything! I'm glad you can see the mountains and river. We are leaving for our new home in Bremen next week. I know you miss Maine, and I will miss many things about our place here-but like you are experiencing-it is all the new stimulation that is so invigorating.