Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Spring at Ya Po Ah



Yesterday April 22,  nine residents of Ya Po Ah  took a trip to the coast on a beautiful clear day, leaving at 8:30 and arriving  back to Ya Po Ah at 7 o’clock.It was earth day and we enjoyed the scenic beauty of the coastal ride stopping at places to walk the beaches in the brisk wind but invigorating to feel.
  I am not writing to describe the trip but  to to tell of several acts of kindness that happened during the day. While looking at the pirate sailing  ships in Newport one of the people lost her phone and was retracing her trip to the restaurant  when a man came up  to our bus, that has Ya Po Ah on the side , and asked if anyone lost a phone .He found it at the rest stop and someone must have told him where we were going. Since he was heading in the same direction he looked and found us and the phone was given to the women who was very grateful to him. How about that for synchronicity.  One of the ladies on our trip likes to cook and she made egg rolls for all of us us to eat. When at the beach we help the ones with walkers to cross difficult  parts.These and other acts of kindness happen every day and I feel good to be witness to these acts even if it is a simple,  good day. I am learning by living in a city of many people how important it is in a community to be aware of everyone for even though we are strangers to most, that smile on the street as we pass indicates we are connected. 
There are all types of people living at Ya Po Ah, many different personalities, those I would not come in contact with if I was living somewhere else. I watch and observe and strangely see the imperfections and idiosyncrasies  and the beautify  in the people of Ya Po Ah and I like them for their uniqueness. I must say that for a crazy person myself I, one that would rather be alone and away from society,  have found friendship and enjoyment in the different people that have befriended me.. Older people have had many experiences and over come difficult situations . painful childhoods, marital  abuse, alcoholism. traumas etc., from all walks of life. These are not ordinary people they are extraordinary  people. Ya Po Ah is a microcosm  of the macrocosm  of the outside world. There is a small food store, hair dresser, exercise and TV room, dining room. stage and all are used for movie night, bingo, card playing, computer golf, meetings of various subjects.There are the smokers and jokers, dog walkers,  group walkers and gardeners. Almost everyone has met  in the elevators, only two for over two hundred people. Apartments are small and if you can get out you go out. So I haven’t made as many paintings as when I lived alone. Now I learn to relate to people. I also have nature in the back yard. On my last walk up Skinners Butte I watched the eagle sitting on the nest through the camera lens of a birder, many come to see the eagles, and I watched the vultures fly through the trees, and they are big birds. From the 14th floor I watch the birds soar on the currents  above the butte. Yesterday I rode my bike along the river  and waded into the water at what I call my swimming hole. It was very cold. Being a warm day many people were at the park, all glad  to be in the sunshine. 





coast



Ya Po Ah on left



coast

Ya Po Ah driveway

Ya Po Ah in distance



Ya Po Ah on left background

Ya Po Ah in background right
the swimming hole


1 comment:

Rebecca Wish Esche said...

Thanks, Audrey! I always enjoy your blog posts with photos. I'm grateful for your sharing.