Thursday, September 14, 2017

Sculpture




In my last blog I had a photo of the sculpture by Mike Bigger. In the Newburyport days when all the creative people moved to Newburyport Mike rented space in one of the factories on Water St. In that building he found left behind large rolls of heavy paper. I was one of the artists that was given a supply of this paper and have many works painted on it. I still have some of this paper and I always called it Bigger’s paper. I also have a sculpture that is now with Doug and Christina at my old home on Back cove. I recently Googled his name to find out what happened to him and I came up with the following. Do any of you still in Newburyport remember him?


Known internationally for his large, colorful metal compositions and outsized personality, sculptor Michael D. Bigger was also a charismatic teacher whose dynamic classroom style energized generations of students at Minneapolis College of Art and Design where he taught for more than 20 years.

n a 45 year exhibition career, he showed his work at galleries and museums in New York City, Chicago, Mexico City,  and throughout Texas. His work is featured in corporate and museum collections around the country including the Oakland Museum of Art, Cincinnati Zoological Society, Vassar College and the San Antonio Museum of Art. In Minnesota he exhibited at Franconia Sculpture Park and the Western Sculpture Park in St. Paul among other sites.


I do have several sculptures that I brought  to Eugene, by Joyce Audy Zarins, from Newburyport, one by Chris  my son,  Trudy Curtis, ( the rabbit) and John Lorence artists friends in Maine. When I lived in Maine I had one of Doug’s large wood sculptures, the one that looks like an abstract pod. While I was researching Mike I came across sculpture and architecture  that is sculptural so I will put a few of those images in. All I can say is we live in amazing times in an amazing world and thanks for all the creative people that enrich our lives.

Mike Bigger
Mike bigger
my sculpture by Mike
Doug's Sculpture

Joyce Zarins







Rayal Villa, Miami FL




Rail Trails US





Architectural concepts by Roman Vlasov

Tower Dubai



Ribbin Chapel Hiroshima Japan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I remember him well. I was a student of his for a short time in Minneapolis...until I took up weaving and spinning. Massive sculpture was not for me!