Monday, September 4, 2017

News from Eugene

painting for wet painting auction

News from Eugene
The trip to Maine was wonderful, and that I could stay in my home on Back Cove that Doug and Christina bough and live in. Doug has built a foundation under the house. No more animals living under the house, and no more movement caused from frost in the ground, a tight ship as the expression refers to. They said the fuel bill was cut in half. All the boulders that held up the house are piled in the yard and it will be interesting to see what creative way they will be used.
I saw most of my friends, and went to galleries and shows to see as much art as I could. I swam in the cove, and painted in my favorite places along the shore. I took part in the wet painting auction in Waldoboro and saw many of my painting friends. Chris came for a week for a rest and reprieve from working on the farm. Christina cooked all the meals which I appreciated and she also made most of the food for the party Aug 13th. I had my fill of lobster and sea food. Chris and I  both went back to Eugene on the same day, Aug. 15th., Chris from Boston  and me from Portland ME. We had the same flight from San Francisco to Eugene where Diane picked us up after midnight. 
I watched the eclipse at Chris’s farm, 98%. It was a clear bright day. Doug came out on the 28th of Aug. to help with the construction of another building. It is hot and smoky. Working outside at the farm they are wearing masks which filter some of the smoke and help breathing.  Forest fires are burning east and south and smoke settles in the valley. 300,000 acres have burned in OR. Many other western states also have fires, and then there are the places that are under water. As bad as storms are, people help each other putting aside racism,inequality, and prejudice. War multiples conflicts, storms unite and bring forth compassion. The radical weather patterns all over the globe will eventually teach us to live in places that will sustain us and we will learn to stop plundering and destroying the earth. The earth is alive and we need good air and water to live.  Change is in the wind, even though it seems like two steps backward and one step forward, I believe we are moving toward a healthier planet, a healthier way of living together.
Doug goes back  to Maine Sept 12th. I would like to hang out at the farm with them but not with all this smoke and heat. News  Paper headline, "Eugene air quality reaches hazardous levels". The next couple of days around 100 and then cooler temperatures for the rest of the week. 

cool cloudy day for paint the town

the rock I painted



a day at Birch Park

sun bather

always things ti find in the tidal pools

a walk along the shore

Doug, Chris and Christina with foxy

Chris



beautiful

some interesting photos

tools

rock details


rock details




I love this sculpture by Mike Bigger who lived in Newburyport way back when

Doug mad paths in the woods


rock collection


Christina in new green house, vegatables for winter

morning glory

chard

double lily



party

good food




smoke

smoke
smoke


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely lovely, Audrey. All of it...paintings, photos, family and connection. Your way of embracing the wonder around you is an inspiration!

Susan

Ardy Greatorex said...

Oh Audrey: so wonderful to see and read your blog. T
he paintings and photos of your world are wonderful. Sorry I could not get to the party--was on Plum Island for a family reunion with daughter from MA, daughter from CO and daughter from NM. Love, Ardy