Saturday, November 24, 2018

The Holiday season, Thanksgiving

Wet Snow 23x23 framed 31x31
hanging in the hall
Lucy, Dougs partner’s daughter graduated this spring and now works at Reality Kitchen, a non profit business that employ and train young adults with intellectual and developmental  disabilities.  Lucy asked me to hang my paintings on the walls of the bakery, restaurant. Now there are 22 abstract and realistic paintings on display until another artist wants the space.




This year about 25 relatives of Christopher’s wife family came to Eugene for the Thanksgiving holiday.  This is the second large gathering I attended at Christopher’s home for Thanksgiving. I remember it was years ago, well time can seem like it was a short or long span. It is all relative. Diane, Chris’s wife comes from a large family of 7 children. Michel drove the farthest from Montana, Haily, Diane’s daughter and  RB from CA , and a brother, and family, daughter and family, sister and family  and Diane’s mother from Ashland. They all are staying  a few days so I get to know them all a little better as I get to have three  great meals and evenings at Christ’s house. In all my life Thanksgivings have been gatherings of family and friends, all wonderful memories. 
The day was clear and showers however the full moon did appear briefly. My friend Prem from Ya Po Ah and I arrived about 2:45 to a house full of people, talking, cooking, reading, playing cards and 3 small children playing. The cooked 26 pound turkey  was on the counter. One was overwhelmed  with smells and a chorus  of sounds. While there was still light we all went out for a family photo. I took the 4 four generation picture, the matriarch grandmother, her two daughters, Diane’s daughters Cortney  and Haily and Cortney’s two  children.
  The living room had been set up with 3 long tables with table cloths and candles for our sit-down dinner. The turkey was carved, the food set out on the dining room table and we filled our plates and all sat down together. After several toasts we concentrated on the food. There is indeed a lot to be thankful  for. After the pumpkin  pie everyone gravitated to the living room to relax, except the children who never wear out. A few young adults played with them. Prem and I left for Ya Po AH about 9 o’clock.  I talked to Doug on the phone. He and Christina went to Camden where Lucy’s grandparents live. There were about ten there for dinner. 

Some of my favorite painting from storage that now hang in my room and in the hall

the lookout rock
My dog Mira, one of my favorite paintings hanging in my apartment 
Charlie at work 36x48
hanging in my space in the hall 14th floor
Empty Space. 27x18 framed 35x25
hanging in hall
Candle and Reflections
hanging in my apartment
paintings in hall
Sweet Gum Tree
4 generations
full moon on Thanksgiving
Chris's house, outside looking in
Peter and Cortney, Diane's daughter
Diane and Chris cooking
carving the turkey
food table
after the feast









No comments: