Friday, May 30, 2014

Creativity in Maine


Last Friday May 23, an event was held in Waldoboro that showed a shot documentary about me. It was the premier of the movie. Also that night Mike Whitehead’s jazz group played. This group is as good as the best. My husband started the jazz jams years ago and Mike has continued them, the first Sunday of every month. Now they are held in Thomaston at the Highlands cafe. I sketch at the jams, and about 25 sketches were matted and and displayed at the Friday event along with Julian Sack’s work who also likes jazz and sketches the musicians at the jams. For me it is a night I will never forget. The movie was being made in spurts for a few years and I didn’t know it had been completed so it was a surprise for me. A few years ago Holly Haining said she wanted to make a movie about me and she came over and did some interviews and filmed the places I paint. She did this in conjunction with the local TV cable station in this area. Mary Ellen Crowley who works at the station and knows how to do everything did most of the editing. They were recording my stories and I had no idea what was used in the movie because some of the stories were recorded several times due to sound problems. It all came together in a beautiful way and they did a great job. The movie will be shown on channel 7 in this area this week the last week of May. 

A great many creative people move to Maine because it is so beautiful, and many like the quiet country lifestyle, many like the energy of water and some find the mountains stimulating. A few talented people go to the metropolitan areas to seek fame and fortune, many equally talented want to pursue their creative nature and find places where their surroundings nurture and enhance their creativity. 

I think my children believe I live in an area where there isn’t much happening.  When Charlie and I moved to Maine we didn’t know anyone. Charlie found many talented musicians to work with. I believe there are more creative people per population in Maine then in any other State. That is just my observation. There are poets, writers, musicians,  artists, crafts, movie makers, etc, and people that love and appreciate all the arts. There are symphony orchestras, choral groups, and theater. The musicians in Mike Whitehead’s jazz group are as good as any musicians you can hear in a big city. I have many creative friends that I enjoy their company and conversations. There is no place more stimulating then right here where I live. If you follow your heart you will be where you should be. 

below sketches and paintings of artists, musicians and listeners  I can't seem to get these to line up















































1 comment:

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

I just watched the entire movie and feel like I just was there...I'm so glad they made the movie...you are a very inspiring and strong woman.